Feb 20 – Feb 24
Written by: Alyssa Tang
Posted by: Qiwen Lei

Tech Demo

This week has been a busy one for our tech demo team as we put together the final designs and went onsite to test the effects. Our programmers worked hard to finish the GPS location functions and added the interaction of clicking on chests before showing the model. We also adjusted the scales of all the models to ensure they looked realistic.

During our meeting with the instructors, we discussed the progress we had made on the tech demo, specifically how the GPS model looks and the method for showing pollution. We also discussed the need to ensure that users cannot turn off the old-film filters, which is essential to maintaining the intended atmosphere of the experience.

UI/UX Progress

The UI/UX feedback mainly focused on enhancing the user experience. Based on the changed gameplay, we may want to outline the puzzle block to help users when they’re confused, and eliminate text prompts to make the experience more intuitive and engaging.

We also discussed the audio and script, particularly the tone of narration, which needs to be documentary-style, giving the user a deeper understanding of the history and significance of the trail route. After conducting detailed research and on-site field trips to the trail route, we had the first version of the script ready, and we identified the appropriate time for each journey between the viewing spots. The feedback we received has been incredibly helpful, and we will continue to work on iterating the narration to ensure that we achieve the desired tone.

As we continue to plan for the mid-term, we understand that our tech prototype should include half of the experience and put the work together to ensure that everything is running smoothly. The puzzle gameplay should be technically proved, and we need to figure out a way to view the train model from other perspectives.

During our onsite visit, we discovered that the GPS package we were using did not provide the ideal accuracy of locations. We found that there was typically a 5-10 meter error of the guidance spot when starting the app, which could sometimes lead to a spot in the middle of the road or somewhere that couldn’t be reached, causing safety issues. To address this problem, we negotiated with our instructors and came up with a new design for the register method.

Users will now see a map of the spot they should go to and a reference picture of the viewport. Once they arrive at the spot, they will see an outlined frame of the viewing direction and will be guided to align the frame with the real-world views. Once they do so, they can then enable the models and see how everything looked in the past. We believe that this new method will provide a safer and more reliable experience for our users.

On the narration front, we had our scripts timed for the walk between the tours. We hope the audio will fit into the time slot when users are walking towards the next spot. The script focused on the history of the bridge and the steel industry and is still under iteration.

Half Presentation

At the end of the week, our team got ready for the midterm presentation and rehearsed many times to get familiar with the contents and make sure everything works perfectly. We created slides and drew graphics that would help us communicate our ideas clearly and effectively to the audience. To ensure that we were conveying things correctly and fully prepared for any issues that might arise during the presentation, we held a mock presentation with our instructors, and adjusted the contents we would be presenting.

In conclusion, it has been a productive and challenging week for the team. Despite the setback with the GPS location functions, we were able to come up with a new design that we believe will provide a safer and more reliable experience for our users. We also made progress with the narration part, and we are looking forward to showing our progress in the midterm.